Big In Japan

The tall tales of living the good life on Ojika Jima in the Goto Retto archipelago. That's West (South - depending on your geographical perspective) Japan. The whimsy of the place will only be catalouged here for a short while, so get it while it's hot.

Sunday, May 28

Oh MAN!

My friend Jodi sent me a notebook in which she suggested that I record my life and surroundings. I've been taking mindless Polaroid photos and writing obsessive little captions since. These pages mean the world to me, but I feel ashamed to admit such a thing.

How could a three-inch by three-inch square of a dead and drying-in-the-sun-blowfish mean any more to me than a scrap of garbage?

Yet, somehow these photos and their scribbling reach a certain kind of profundity. I think I know that I'll leaf through the tiny book with bug smears and coffee rings over and over again come July and my life gets just busy enough to schedule, reschedule and reschedule again a visit to the island that was home to me for a handful of handkerchief-drenching summers and bubble bath-warming winters.

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need you address because I have postcards to send you.

 
At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean you got ajob on the main land? Do you know where you're going yet? *snuggles* Thanks for the awesome comment on my journal, ne? Miss you!

Carrie

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger biginkyiv said...

Nope. No word yet on the placement. Russ is just a slacker and has NEVER sent me anything in the two years I've lived here! (Tsk, tsk RAD.) I miss you too Carrie. I hope to see you soon. We need a Goto weekend or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home