Big In Japan

The tall tales of living the good life on Ojika Jima in the Goto Retto archipelago. That's West (South - depending on your geographical perspective) Japan. The whimsy of the place will only be catalouged here for a short while, so get it while it's hot.

Thursday, April 20

Rockin' Out in a Japanese Way

I had a sweet day yesterday.

It was so sweet because I was paid a very nice compliment by my JTE (Kawabe-sensei). An hour after our last class, he told me he was still "reveling in the moment" of our students' English ability and my contribution to their success. It doesn't sound so awesome, but he started by marking the date, which made me giggle.

"Today, on April 19th, 2006 at 3:10pm, I have witnessed the best class of my life."

Wowser.

It was also sweet because when I went to the elementary school for a meeting and told them that I'd only have three more lessons there before leaving Ojika, they broke into impromptu song.

"For she's a jolly good fellow; for she's a jolly good fellow; for she's a jolly good fellow which nobody can deny!"

Ok, not really, but they did rally support for a nomikai (drinking party). The 6th grade teacher was especially excited. He kept saying, "Wonderful! Wonderful! I want to drink! That will be just wonderful." Which, of course, is the attitude I would want my student's 6th grade teacher to have. (No, no! Seriously, he is an amazing teacher and is totally professional. I was a little surprised by his enthusiasm. That's all.)

Then, things got even sweeter when I went to my English conversation class and found two huge bouquets of peonies and a small gathering of columbines -- Colorado's state flower, you know. There was also a huge diamond wedding ring and an anonymous proposal of marriage.


Ok, not really. The flowers were from Mrs. Egawa. She isn't able to come to class any longer and wanted to do something nice for me and the other students. She arrived early with flowers cut from her garden and a huge sign saying in English how much she appreciated all of us. It was very thoughtful. If I were an emotional person, I would have cried. Instead we took pictures and bowed a billion times to one another.

But, keeping all of that in mind, I still went to bed feeling sorry for myself. What's THAT all about? How can I be so loved and appreciated, and still feel real lonely? I chalk it up to missing the people in my life who knew me before Japan.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before you were in Japan

the skies in Colorado were a little bluer

the wind was a little sweeter

and the smiles were a whole lot broader

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger biginkyiv said...

Aw... shucks. Thanks, Russ.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home