Big In Japan

The tall tales of living the good life on Ojika Jima in the Goto Retto archipelago. That's West (South - depending on your geographical perspective) Japan. The whimsy of the place will only be catalouged here for a short while, so get it while it's hot.

Friday, June 16

Kabocha

Pumpkins in Japan are small and green. They are nothing like the pumpkins of October's Jack-o-lantern fame. People in Ojika (as well the whole of Japan) eat these hard squash year round. They are tasty.

I will be having my final lesson at Madara elementary school on Monday. I got to set the menu because it's to be my last visit. I asked for pumpkin tempura. I don't know why I asked for pumpkin tempura. I just did.

When I went to the school for lesson planning, one of the teachers asked me to make a sign explaining why I like pumpkin tempura and why I recommend it others. (All the kids made signs explaining their own favorite foods.) We're going to have a bit of a show and tell, I think.

This is my sign.
It reads: Pumpkin tempura is very delicious. I want to eat it everyday. It's soft and a little sweet. But, if you ate it everyday, maybe you'd turn into a pumpkin. Watch out!

Mr. K. saw me working on it at my desk. I think he thought I'd gone mad. I explained that it was for one of the elementary schools. As if that explained it. He then asked me if I'd show it to the high school kids. Then, it was my turn to think he'd gone mad.

2 Comments:

At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you should grow your own pumpkins

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am having some difficulty posting my comments, I am trying not to take it personally, but I am beginning to!
Great likeness, but I think Dr. Eisenson may take issue with the denal work!.
You have to love those children.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home