Big In Japan

The tall tales of living the good life on Ojika Jima in the Goto Retto archipelago. That's West (South - depending on your geographical perspective) Japan. The whimsy of the place will only be catalouged here for a short while, so get it while it's hot.

Wednesday, August 23

Goodbye Ojika

I have been very fortunate in my 28 years. (Today is my birthday, BTW, so maybe I'm feeling especially reflective.) I have been lucky enough to have some life-changing experiences and one of my greatest fears is that as time trickles on, I'll start to forget all the wonderful people and amazing moments I've had as I've been away from home. Although I wish with all of my fist-clenched might that I could hold onto those times and what I felt while in those specific moments, I know that they'll fade over the coming years, and I'll be left with a vague, warm overall feeling. And, when people ask me what living on Ojika was like (for example) I'll be unable to say anything more to them than, "It was amazing."

I do, however, find solace in the fact that the core of my being was shaped by my experiences, and that will never change. So, even in thirty years, whatever I do, wherever I am, I will be a living, breathing small sub-section of Ojika island.

My Ojikan friends and Ojikan family went out of their way to make me feel like I was at home on that island and I will never be able to repay them the full extent. I can only do my best to give such love and friendship to those I meet in the future who are in a similar situation -- feeling lonely and far away from home.

Here are photos from my send-off on July 26th.






3 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Birthday. You are old.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger biginkyiv said...

Not as old as you, my friend. Thanks, Russ.

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True...i am old. *cries*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home