Big In Japan

The tall tales of living the good life on Ojika Jima in the Goto Retto archipelago. That's West (South - depending on your geographical perspective) Japan. The whimsy of the place will only be catalouged here for a short while, so get it while it's hot.

Friday, August 18

The storming of Nippon

Jodi and her husband, KC, decided to spend a portion of their summer vacation with me in Japan. This made me very happy as I haven't seen Jodi in a little over two years and her presence makes the grass a little greener, jokes a whole lot funnier, and anko ( sweet, red bean paste) a thousand times more delicious. -- Well, all that is true except for the last part. I don't believe anko could ever be 'delicious.'

Here we are at the shrine at the peak of Madara-jima's scenic park. Jodi and KC flew into Fukuoka, where I met them. Then, the three of us returned to Ojika for a few days before I left my island for good.

Because my contract ended and I decided to transfer schools, I had several good-bye parties on my island to attend while Jodi and KC were in town. Luckily, or unluckily for them -- you'd have to ask them--, they were invited to join the mayhem. Here we are at the apres pottery BBQ karaoke jam.
And, here we are at the Hammamotos.

And, here we are at the yakitori joint with HS teachers.

And, here we are at Mrs. Egawa's house.

Once we left the island, we continued our trip onto the central island of Honshu, with a couple of nights in between in Fukuoka. Jodi and KC are really laid back, so traveling with them was easy. KC only had two non-negotiable rules/requests. Because of an allergy ("arerugi") all dishes with shell fish was out of the question when we were eating, and we HAD to see a baseball game.

We saw the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks pull off an exciting win in the 9th when Zuruta hit a home run with a guy on second. The final score was 2-1.


Here, Jodi and KC pose with Kaoru and her brother. Kaoru is my friend from Ojika who now lives in Fukuoka. She's a die-hard SoftBanks fan and knows all the player's special cheers.


After Fukuoka, we moved onto Hiroshima for two nights. We went to Miyajima and spent a day at the atomic bomb memorial. Here, Jodi and I pose with The Hot Pepper near the Hiroshima shopping arcade.


Our next stop was Kyoto. Kyoto is amazing.

After two nights in Kyoto, we continued in the direction of Tokyo, and spent two nights in Nagoya. Now, Nagoya isn't really known as being a tourist heaven, but for some reason when Yoshino-sensei's wife asked me why we were going, I ended up telling her that Jodi and KC were interested in seeing the buildings of Nagoya. Now, this seemed like a logical thing for me to say at the time, but she didn't seem to understand why anyone would be in interested in that particularly. My lie became hilarious when we arrived in Nagoya and found nothing more than an average city with lots of strip-mall like shopping complexes. Really interesting, right? Well, we did make it to the castle, so that's gotta count for something.

On our second day in Nagoya, we got out of the city, and went to a near-by town call Gujo Hachiman. The town was criss-crossed with three rivers and we spent all day cooling our heels in the water. We were entertained for a half-hour or so of people jumping off of a rather high bridge into the river.

We also stumbled upon GODZILLA, but he'd befallen quite a fate by the time we found him.

Jodi and KC took the Shinkansen to Tokyo the next morning. They were there for two nights before jetting off to Hawaii for a cruise with KC's family. It was really, really tough to see them go.

4 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for the Yahoo Dome!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job capturing our trip. I was a little disappointed to see that you did not post our family photo taken at the Nagoya Castle. Although, I guess you wanted to save it for our Christmas cards.
I fell in love with Japan. Thank you for taking us on such a wonderful trip. I can't wait for our next adventure.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger biginkyiv said...

You're right about saving that picture for our Christmas card. I miss you tons. When are you and KC gonna come back and start up your sandwich shop?

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dawn:
I don't know why I haven't checked your blog for awhile, and I have been missing out on these wonderful photos of your time with Jodi and KC. Your missed by so many people and you just keep traveling the world making friends in your wake!
MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home